A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas
Core Idea LS 1: From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes
- how individual organisms are configured
- how structures function to support life, growth, behavior, and reproduction
Core Idea LS 2: Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics
- organisms’ interactions with each other and their physical environment
- how changing environmental factors affect organisms and ecosystems
Core Idea LS 3: Heredity: Inheritance and Variation of Traits
- the flow of genetic information between generations
- the environmental and genetic causes of gene mutation and the alteration of gene expression
Core Idea LS4: Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity
- changes in the traits of populations of organisms over time
- how variation of genetically-determined traits in a population may give some members a reproductive advantage in a given environment
- natural selection can lead to adaptation, that is, to a distribution of traits in the population that is matched to and can change with environmental conditions
Life Sciences 6-13
Traits are passed from one generation to the next via genes. Topic includes genes, traits, alleles, chromosomes, sexual reproduction, mutations and variations, environmental variation, DNA, nucleotides, RNA
Biodiversity affects humans. Topics include biological evolution, evolutionary relationships, natural selection, genetic variation, adaptation, antibiotic resistance, naturally-occurring and human-induced changes in the physical environment, species extinction, and overpopulation.
High School Life Sciences
Natural Selection and Evolution
HS-LS4-2. Construct an explanation based on evidence that the process of evolution primarily results from four factors: 1) the potential for a species to increase in number, 2) the heritable genetic vatiation of individuals in a species due to mutation and sexual reproduction, …and 4) the proliferation of those organisms that are better able to survive and reproduce in the environment.
HS-LS4-4. Construct an explanation based on evidence for how natural selection leads to adaptation of populations.